March 18, 2009

I'm a closet NKOTB Fan

Ok, in middle school, not a closet fan. But when grunge moved into Seattle, I trashed my New Kids cd's and tapes (I AM that old - I had tapes). But, my first concert was New Kids in the fall of 1990 - 7th grade. I went with my best friend, Gina Buzzelle, and her cousin, and our moms. I had my mom scan and email me the picture of my original concert. I'm the one on the far left. Gina in the middle in the tie-dye get up, and Kristy on the right. Back in the day I thought I was HOT STUFF in my new penny loafers.
It was the best 1st concert experience EVER. The moms rented a limo and took us to Red Robin. At the time it was the fanciest restaurant I had ever been to. Being one of 3 naughty children we never went anywhere except Denny's or Pizza Hut. We got screamed at the entire drive to the concert - I guess other girls thought we were the New Kids in our fancy limo.

My friend Meredith called me up Monday afternoon and asked if she could get tickets if I would go with her. I said "of course!" So, at 6:30, we headed downtown for the concert.

Before the concert at my house. Meredith wasn't able to get tickets off Craigslist, so we just drove downtown and got them from a scalper. They were really good seats.
Us at the concert. I did not buy a concert t-shirt, and we had not saved our clothes from back in the day (like I would fit into anything I had in 6th or 7th grade!).So the purpose of this picture is not to showcase Meredith (but doesn't she look lovely?), but to sneakily get a picture of the mom-type lady int he middle of the picture. She came with HER daughter (in the blue farther down). Hysterical to me, since I went with my mom to my first concert, but I didn't need her for the 2nd. =)Here the boys pop out of the floor of the stage for their grand entrance. The concert was not sold out, but I think it was the loudest concert I have ever been to. Seriously. 30-year old ladies are loud. I hooted and hollered until I was hoarse. I sounded like a man on Tuesday morning.Here's my favorite New Kid: Danny Wood. I LOVED LOVED LOVED him. Random, I know. everyone else liked the other guys in the group. I still think he's good looking, but I would never trade Tyler for him. Tyler is my Richard Gere. Meredith's binoculars - given to her in high school by a boyfriend who took her to see "The Phantom of the Opera"! Awesomeness, I tell you.
Part of the concert the band came out to a platform pretty close to our seats. If I were still 12, I would've freaked out and possibly passed out being so close. Like I said, a lot of the ladies were going nuts.My camera was on it's last seconds of battery, so I didn't get a good shot. Blurry will have to do.
Going to the concert brought back a lot of emotions and memories:
-sitting in my parents bedroom frantically dialing Ticketmaster to get my tickets (Mom wouldn't let me stand in line in downtown Seattle, overnight, for some "odd" reason).
-singing every song over and over and over until I was blue in the face
-how much I loved my NKOTB stuff that I had (until they went out of style)
-thinking that I would actually get to meet them, and Danny Wood would fall in love with me IMMEDIATELY, and I would run away with him and we would live happily ever after (Pretty Woman had come out recently, and I SO thought that could happen in real life). Remember, I was TWELVE. I dreamed about marrying Danny Wood so often, it's ridiculous.
-swooning every time their videos were on MTV - back in the day when they actually played videos.

Anyway, those memories are fun and mortifying all at the same time. I was SUCH a silly girl at 12. Praise God He saved me from a life of being nothing more than a groupie. And that I have been blessed with a full life, a wondeful husband and child, a great house, I could go on and on... but I will leave you with one thought. Only New Kids fans (that have been to a new concert will understand) "Let's get this!"

6 comments:

kimi said...

I was NOT a closet fan, then or now. I feel you on the loafers but you were WAY more mill creek than my lynnwood self. I slept overnight and got 6th row back then. I also made my mother and sister wait for HOURS in front of the lynnwood jc penney to meet their moms. yeah, verging on pathetic! I'm so glad you had fun! it's really fun to see them all grown up!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Melissa for sharing our trip down memory lane on Monday. It was a blast!

starbucksgirl said...

"Praise God He saved me from a life of being nothing more than a groupie."

Seriously.

I do praise Him for that. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha Great pictures! I love "mom" by Meredith. She was looking right at you! You two are a crack up.

Mom Linda said...

I vaguely remember waiting at the J.C. Penneys, but I do remember that my ears rang for a LONG time after I went to not one but TWO concerts, since I would not let Niki go by herself. Since Kim was older, she could go with a friend--or an older cousin who was very kind

Jennifer Farris said...

Stumbled upon your blog, and it was a delight to read, as I am also a fan...and a believer, as well. :) Here is my own NKOTB blog/fan experience! http://www.thefarriswheel.blogspot.com