September 13, 2007

Michigan Trip

Last weekend Dixie and I took our girls to Michigan to visit our friends, the Dunns, who moved up there is Spring and so I could go to a cousin's wedding in Traverse City. Maggie and Zayli endured a 10-hour car ride on the way up, and a 13-hour ride on the way home (big accident about 30 miles from Nashville closed down the interstate for 2 1/2 hours). And they were HAPPY almost the entire time. No fits, no meltdowns, nothing. It was awesome!!! I will give Dixie the credit for keeping them entertained with major book reading, games, drawing on the magna-doodle, handing out snacks slowly and singing every single kids song we could think of! Here are some pictures:

Happy girls in the car. The cooler in the middle I think helped them not fight over toys.
It is sick how much stuff I feel like we need for a trip now that we have a child.
Jumping on the couch is fun until someone gets hurt. Maggie fell off Sunday night and got a goose egg over her left eye.
Maggie, Zayli & Nyah.
Homemade pancakes with local Michigan blueberries for breakfast. They were fantastic, and doubled as face paint!
At the wedding: my cousin Jack and wife Brooke - this was the first time they'd met Maggie. They just moved to Wisconsin. Maggie was quite taken with Jack and played with him the whole reception.
Maggie giving my Aunt Dee a tongue check.
Uncle Les, Aunt Bonnie (parents of my cousin getting married) and Aunt Dee.
My cousin, Jill, sister of my cousin who got married and a bridesmaid. Sorry Lora, your picture didn't turn out!
Maggie with my cousin Joey and his new wife Janessa. Beautiful Michigan countryside and sunset.
Had to go to Lake Michigan while we were there! Jamin and Christie live just 4 miles from the lake, so we went on Sunday afternoon. It was a little windy, and the water was too cold to make Maggie go in it,but we had a blast anyway. Nyah, Zayli, Maggie, Aubrey.
Zayli's impersonation of an ostrich.
Chasing seagulls was a fun alternative to going in the cold water.
Christie and baby Aubrey.
It was a great trip! Western Michigan reminds me a lot about western Washington, specifically the Bellingham area where my grandparents live. There were so many Dutch names and faces and farms it almost felt like home!

No comments: