November 24, 2009

So pretty much this picture represents my life

Here is the couch where I have to sit about 13 hours a day. And the brace that is the bane of my existence which I have to wear 24 hours a day except for a shower. And the paperwork from physical therapy today which contains many instructions for self-torture.
I went to the doctor again yesterday to confirm the MRI findings: torn ACL and a nondisplaced tibial fracture (I have a hairline crack on the exterior knob of my tibia). ACL surgery will probably happen next Friday. Until then, physical therapy every day to get back as much mobility in my knee as possible so I have better outcome post-surgery.

As for the crutches, I'll still be on them for 4-6 more weeks because of the fracture. Now, that sounds like a lot, but initially the doctor wanted me to be on crutches for 4-6 weeks for the fracture to heal, and THEN go in for ACL surgery and be on crutches several more weeks after that. Anyone else see a problem with that? There is just no way I can possibly be an invalid for 10 weeks or more.

I have been so humbled by not being able to do anything, especially with everything else that has gone on this year, and by how many people from church have volunteered to help us out in our time of need. An especially big thank-you to Barb Hudson (I've got to get a picture of her with Maggie) for grocery-shopping, rides to church and physical therapy and watching Maggie. Amazing.

And I'd like to make a public apology to everyone who has had to endure me crying on the phone. Or in person. Or both.

No comments: