September 17, 2009

We Have a New Pet

Amanda DeHoog, this post is for you! Talk about good timing.

Not the kind of pet you bring inside (or at least not one that will be coming inside MY house!), but a new pet. Or I guess pest. It's too big to kill (I can't see Tyler trying to squish that one in some TP), and it made the most spectacular web I have ever seen in person and that's saying a lot coming from someone who HATES HATES HATES (and is incredibly afraid of) S.P.I.D.E.R.S.

This "little" arachnid is about 3 1/2 inches from one end to the other, and is bright yellow and black. I think the black, poky legs are just insult to injury - so scary looking! Maggie likes to check in from time to time.
Her web is on the front of the house, right next to the bay window, and I can see it all the time... not my favorite. But the web is about 3 feet in diameter, and there is a ladder wrung about every 1/4 inch. There's also a bizarre zig-zag in the very center of her web. She sits there all day, and doesn't move much. The web is just amazing. If butterflies could make cute webs, that would be better. But the Lord has a perfect design. I haven't seen any other bugs near the front of the house lately.

The web the day it was put up.
Here's Amron holding up my raincoat for a black background.
Here is most of its diameter.
One more showing all the detail.

4 comments:

Melea said...

Melissa--we've had a spider "friend" at our back door for the longest time, that would make new webs almost every evening so that we could watch the magic. Yes, I'm sure he only made webs for us to learn! We would watch him, then turn on the porch light so that we could watch him catch bugs, then feast on them. Gruesome, I know. Well, he recently died, which made us rather sad. I also have always HATED spiders, but this one really taught the boys (and myself) about God's creation. I wish I would have taken a picture! I especially like the little zig zag pattern deal your spider friend has going on. Thanks for sharing!

Amanda DeHoog said...

THANK YOU Melissa! I was stoked to check on you guys and find this amazing spider picture!!!! I'm going to blow it up and my first grade friends will be so excited to see a spider picture all the way from NASHVILLE!

Arreguin Family said...

and why are you leaving it there?

starbucksgirl said...

That is a seriously cool spider. You and Amron should go out and find a moth or bug and throw it into the web. Jason and I used to do that routinely when we lived on "the land" in Nolensville. It entertained us for hours.

Seriously.

Tell Amron I said hi and give her a big hug from me. I love you Amron!