April 25, 2011

Easter Festivities

Maggie and I colored eggs last Tuesday night while Tyler was at class. I did 24 eggs this time around, we love egg salad sandwiches and hard-boiled eggs for breakfast so it works out. She did really well with the coloring and even made some 2-color eggs!
And look what a good picture she took. It was hot that day, James is just in his diaper.
Posing with our display of beautiful eggs.
More eggs.
We also made a Resurrection mountain (no picture) that we use to tell the story of Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection. From here: http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/make-a-playdough-mountain So on Sunday morning, Maggie gets to come down to the kitchen to see the empty tomb. "He is not here, He has risen, just as he said." Matthew 28:6.

We've decided to do all the Easter bunny/baskets/egg hunts on Saturdays now and leave Sunday just for celebrating Resurrection Day. That way we put the proper emphasis on Christ and His resurrection on Sunday coinciding with church, without missing out on fun traditions, too.

Oddly enough, the Easter Bunny, aka Mom, leaves baskets of goodies the same place Santa, aka Mom, leaves filled stockings! It is events like this I wish my mom were closer so I could get a fun basket, too. On the otherhand, when I do my own, I go right for the important things: Cadbury Mini Eggs. they are my favorite candy. Ever. Hands down. I plan on going to the store tomorrow to stock up on them on clearance.
So I thought it would be fun to get the kids the same bunny, just in different colors: James got gray and white, Maggie got brown and white. Maggie named hers Jellybean all on her own. Too cute!!!
Showing off her chocolate bunny.
I found that cool night-lite at Target that goes great with his room theme. Here Tyler makes the appropriate rocket ship noise for James.
Maggie picked out more foam weapons for Tyler's basket. We now have 2 foam swords, 2 battle axes, and 2 maces all from the Target dollar bins. They go nicely with the shields Tyler picked up after Halloween. I didn't take a picture, but he showed her late the proper way to block a mace attack.
About to partake of this season's first peep.
Seconds later, a mouth FULL of purple peep. Before breakfast. Delicious!
Did not end up going to the local Easter Egg Hunt. Maggie wasn't feeling up to it when it was time to go, so we just stayed home and relaxed.

Maggie came down with a cold Friday that got worse over the weekend, so instead of spending Easter dinner with our Home Fellowship group on Sunday evening, I made an emergency run to Kroger Saturday to pick up a small ham for just us. Anyway, last year I made the easiest, yummiest ham dinner for us and the Christians (the day before Zeke was born). So this year I decided why change something that worked so well? Menu: ham with pineapple and brown sugar glaze, strawberry-spinach salad with homemade poppyseed dressing, green beans, rolls. I broke out the china, too. Gotta use it sometime!
I didn't get a good picture of the spread, Maggie was in a foul mood at that moment. But here she is minutes later in a good mood. Milk in a wine glass will do that to you. I did have her put on her Easter dress for dinner since she didn't get to wear it to church that day.
James spent the meal in his swing, smiling in his sleep. So sweet!

No comments: