May 8, 2008

A Colony of Robins

That's right. My backyard is becoming a robin sanctuary. Since my last post on them, the first batch of robins fledged (left the nest) on April 17th. Maggie and I watched the last baby fly out of the nest. Within a week the mama robin was sitting on the nest. I got up there Tuesday afternoon, and sure enough! There were 2 hatched babies and two eggs left (they will fledge about May 20th). I have become a robin watcher and now I know exactly which robin she is - the sides of her head are really sleek and she's got kinda ruffled feathers that make her look like she's got a mohawk on each side of her head. She's the same mama from last year. The picture is blurry, but though I want to see what's going on in that nest, I want the mama robin to stay.

Then a week or two ago I noticed a new bird nest in the rafters of our carport. that's right! Another robin's nest. This mama has 4 eggs. I don't know which robin in the yard this one is, but I am working on watching the nest a little more carefully so I can identify her.

I have to say, I really love having these fun birds to watch in the backyard all the time, and I can put up with the bird poop on the cars. Tyler probably wishes their nests were in the trees, away from the cars, but then I wouldn't be able to take pictures... And I am so thankful for God's Creation, even in something so trivial as robins in the yard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Birding is so addictive! We started identifying birds last year with our now 6 year old. Then this year, the oldest two are doing bird journals as part of our homeschool curriculum.

The only problem is, we cannot even take a simple walk any longer without wanting to listen, observe and identify every single bird!